Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Giving Back


I haven't quite figured out what that gift is yet.    I do know that I love helping people and giving back so that is what I am focusing on now.  That is what gives me the greatest sense of purpose and meaning and that feeling of this is what I was meant to do!   It is also something I hope to instill in my children.  People always ask if our family went to church as kids.  No we didn't.  But I'm ok with that.  We spent almost every weekend volunteering.   At our neighbor's apple orchard in the fall and at Camp Becket in the Berkshires doing clean ups and barn raising.   My mom was on the Historical Committee and my dad always helped run and plan Spring Fest.   My parents were always involved behind the scenes.  They didn't just go to events.  They ran them.

Right now our dining room is filled to the brim with donations for the homeless.   Neighbor Brigade which I co-lead in Medway asked each chapter to choose a drive to participate in the month of February.  Both of the causes seemed like good ones to Nikki and I so we went with both of them.   We knew our volunteers would contribute tenfold but we also knew this was a good way to involve our town in what Neighbor Brigade does.   Giving back to neighbors in times of need.   I posted on the Medway Facebook site and we got an overwhelming response to our request.

"Medway Neighbor Brigade is doing a collection drive for two charities this month. If you would like to participate here are the details below. Please PM me for my address for drop off location. Thanks in advance for those that participate!
We welcome February as a month of love and kindness! In so doing, all Neighbor Brigade chapters have been invited and offered the opportunity to participate in two drives:
Option #2: Warm Hands Warm Hearts for Friend's of Boston's Homeless (www.fobh.org)
Option #1: Dignity Matters 
Our Medway chapter has chosen to participate in both. Please read the following information and details regarding both Option #1 and Option #2. 
Option #1
Dignity Matters (www.dignity-matters.org) is a non-profit organization that supplies feminine hygiene products and undergarments to women in severe hardship, in order to help them stay healthy, regain self-confidence, and live with basic dignity. Feminine hygiene products and bras are rarely donated to charities, food stamps do not cover them, asking strangers for sanitary products is humiliating, and most homeless shelters, in spite of their best efforts, simply cannot cope with the demand for these items. It leaves homeless women alone - in what amounts to a monthly crisis.
Dignity Matters is in DESPERATE need of:
1. TAMPONS and SANITARY NAPKINS (any type, size, brand)
2. BRAS – gently used and new (any size, brand and type – including sports bras, nursing bras, maternity bras, shapewear, crop top style etc.)
3. FEMALE UNDERPANTS – new with tags (any type, size, brand)
Opened tampons or sanitary napkins boxes are also welcome as long as individual products are sealed. There is a preference for super absorbency strength (for example, maxi pads).
Option #2
Warm Hands Warm Hearts for Friends of Boston’s Homeless (www.fobh.org)
The winter months are the most difficult time of year for the homeless. Many of them are at risk to the elements. You can help our community’s homeless stay safe and warm this winter by donating at least one brand-new (or gently used) winter hat, scarf, pair of gloves or mittens, or new warm socks. 
By participating in Warm Hands Warm Hearts you will not only help keep our community’s most vulnerable citizens safe and warm this winter, but you’ll also help maintain their dignity and comfort during this most difficult time of year.
**Individual bins, marked "Dignity Matters" and "Warm Hands Warm Hearts" are being provided for donations and will be located on the front porch atKari's home. You may make donations now and throughout the month of February, at which point all donations will be picked up and delivered to the appropriate organizations.❤️
We hope you will join us this month in helping the homeless women and men in our communities.
This is a repost of an earlier request. We will be collecting until the end of February!
With our warmest wishes and appreciation for all that you do,
Nikki and Kari"
So many people donated to the cause.   And dignity matters really touched people.  

Both of the charities donate locally in MA and RI.
This year Kelsey also got involved with Miss Amazing,  ( https://missamazing.org/our-story/ ), a  pageant to boost self esteem in young woman with disabilities.  One of her best friends in the whole wide world, Lucy,  is co-leading the event in Massachusetts.   She already volunteers for Best Buddies at her High School which puts on social events and does programs with the special needs children that attend their school.  She and a few of her friends from Medway have joined up to help a primarily Medfield group of volunteers.   They have been meeting all year and Kelsey and her friends are coming up with the goodie bags for the participants and Kelsey is running the dance room the day of the event.  She also wrote a request on our town Facebook page for dresses and received 30 plus donations of people's ball gowns and prom dresses.   We all plan to attend because as Lucy's mom, Laurie says, "It really is one of the most Amazing and life-changing events she has ever taken part in."  I'm so glad Kelsey is having this opportunity to give back and to see the joy her efforts bring to others.   

I'm also working on a philanthropic project for the month of April with my friend Kate.  She is the nutritionist who is the one who realized I might have SIBO and helped start me down this road to recovery.  I'm excited about the potential of this project and what it could mean for others suffering with IBS or SIBO.   Our goal is for people to feel like they are not alone in their path to wellness.   She said I was the perfect person to help her with this because "giving back is what I do".   If that becomes my job title I'm good with it.  I like to help people figure out what their next steps are, I am an idea person that has lot's of ideas and thoughts about other's jobs and careers and ways to grow.  I don't have that same gift to come up with ideas for myself but maybe that's because I am already doing it.  What I love most is giving back, helping others, being that idea person.  Maybe giving back is what I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment