Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The "Eggs Beni"fit to your husband working from home on a snow day!

Today we are all home for a big blizzard.  We considered taking off and going to NH to enjoy the fresh powder and skiing but real life got in the way.  Dance and work and the fact that the snow might make it impossible to see while skiing....

I woke up at 9:48 today and only because the dogs started pacing.  Nola had been up in the middle of the night pacing so I didn't sleep through the night.   It felt so indulgent to wake up that late.   Rod was already downstairs working and the smell of coffee was wafting up the stairs.  Haley came to deliver it with her new phone holder she had crafted.  She does a lot before the rest of rise.   The early bird gets the worm!  And Haley certainly is an early bird.  She loves the quiet of the house in the morning and often gets up and watches a few shows before making crepes or a craft project.   Today it was this.  "The flip cam" for her iPhone.   She brought it up to my room to show me when she delivered my cup of coffee to me in bed.  This is the life!  I am so thankful for my early risers and I love having my first cup of coffee in bed.  Watching the snow fall outside the windows and slowly waking up.






Soon the smell of bacon and the sounds of pots and pans made it's way upstairs and Rod called us down to breakfast.  Rod not only cooks a lot but he really enjoys cooking.  Definitely more than me.  I sometimes have the feeling of


He has a few favorite meals and breakfast is definitely his "thing".  Pancakes, crepes, homemade waffles, scones.   Today it was eggs benedict from scratch.  The "beni" of your husband working from home on a snow day.  I'll let him explain how he makes it.



Bacon

• Preheat oven for Bacon.  I like to use the oven and put the bacon on parchment paper on a cookie sheet with sides.  Makes for an easy cleanup.  15-20 minutes at 425 will do the trick.



Blender Hollandaise Sauce (Joy of Cooking)
• On stovetop melt one stick of salted butter on the lowest possible heat.
• Add three egg yolks to blender
• Dash of hot sauce
• Dash of pepper
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Just before serving blend yokes, hot sauce, pepper and lemon juice for 30 seconds. Slowly pour in clarified butter.

Eggs  buy a lot of eggs for this one!
• Fresh eggs at room temp work best
• Fill large low pan with about 2 inches of water and bring to just below a boil. Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar (helps eggs hold their shape)
• Fill a small pot with 2 inches of water and bring to a full boil
• Pre-heat each egg in boiling water for 10 second.  Thanks to my father-in-law Art for recommending this technique.   It makes the eggs stay together rather than disperse in the pan.  Then crack and slowly put into the low pan.  Cook about 6 minutes or until the yolk is how you like it.  I usually put them onto a plate with paper towels and then reheat them in the water just prior to serving.

  

Serve on english muffins grilled in a pan with a little butter or on a bed of greens.  I prefer mine with Canadian bacon.  Kari prefers hers gluten free and served with a smile!  Serve it up and call your family down for breakfast!  Happy snow day to those of you in the North East!  


No comments:

Post a Comment