Sunday, June 15, 2014

Words of Wisdom!

Our home is filled with quotes that inspire us.  There are so many wonderful quotes in the world that we can gain wisdom from.  So many before us that had important, inspiring and sometimes simple, yet powerful things to say.



My favorite sign is one we had made for our 15th anniversary. It is a subway sign that is hanging in the heart of our home in our kitchen. On it my husband and I chose 15 places that are close to our hearts. Places we have lived, visited, taken special vacations to, and called home. Many of these are places our girls have visited too. Or they are spots we'd like to take them to revisit with us someday. All are dear to our hearts and when we look at this sign it evokes warm memories of happy times spent together with family and friends.




I also have a chalkboard sign in the kitchen.  Unlike the subway sign I enjoy changing the quotes throughout the seasons and writing inspiring quotes that I've often found on pinterest (of course!).  When life is busy and I don't have time for a creative fix this chalk board gives me a small one.  I try out different fonts, chalk colors and designs.  I can enjoy the inspiration and quotes on a daily basis.  Until it's time for the next one! 



Slowly but surely my love of quotes has spread throughout the house.  Each of our rooms is adorned with at least one quote but more likely two or three.   Little reminders of what is important in life, our wedding song, and to be true to yourself.  Some are affixed to the the walls, others are store bought and still more are handmade with love.







In case I don't have enough quotes on our walls. This collection of rocks was found on hikes, on rocky beaches in Maine and on the sandy beaches of Massachusetts.  I had so much fun making these quote rocks that I had to flip them over so that each rock has a quote on both sides.  My favorite is "What I love most about my home is who I share it with".  So true.  It doesn't matter what I add to make this house homey it's my girls and my husband and my dogs that truly make it feel like a home!

In my own room I created a wall that inspires me above my vanity.  It includes pictures of my husband and I, my parents, a poem written for my by my mom and a photograph taken by my dad, along with a few favorite quotes of course.  As the mom of three girls and two dogs "Keep Calm and Carry On" is a daily mantra of mine.  And a reminder from a mom friend of mine that "Good moms have sticky floors, dirty ovens and happy kids."  


For my girls birthdays this past year I redid or added to their rooms.  Of course a photo and quote wall was included in each.  Even though I have three girls close in age they all have such distinct personalities and likes and interests.  I try to focus on their individuality and what makes each of them unique.    


I love adorning their walls with homemade gifts.  Signs, letters, and quotes made with love with them in mind.  Another chance to be creative.  I am a gift giver.  But my favorite gifts to give and receive are the homemade ones that take time, creativity and thought.

















We attend a family camp that my dad has been going to since he was a young.  I remember one of my favorite places as a child being the wood shop.  I love the smell of fresh cut wood and the smell of the burning tool filling the room.  We have gone back here with multiple generations to celebrate important milestone birthdays and our children also love the woodshop.  Over the years we have created wood signs for ourselves and for our friends and family.  





It is fun to see my girls beginning to show their creativity in similar and thoughtful ways.  I hope that I inspire them to explore their creative sides and to let art be a meaningful part of their lives.




Pinterest has been inspiring me with Lake House quotes as of late.  I'm hoping a few of these soon adorn the walls of our cottage.   I've put in some pretty blatant requests for a Lake House subway sign to my sister-in-law..but just in case she hasn't gotten the hint here are a few more ideas KT!  ;)
-Kari



P.S.  KT, Chris & the boys, Hope you enjoy your week at the cottage!  Glad we got to overlap with you for a fun Father's day!!
























No comments:

Post a Comment